Monday, January 4, 2010

London Calling

The British Museum, Victoria and Albert, and ect did not let down. My time in London was brilliant. In fact in kindled a deep love for museums; I would love to spend at least a week in each as I feel I barely scratched the surface. One thing that really struck me in London was the brilliance behind the subway system design. The stations seem to be designed as ugly as possible and then thouroughly trashed. Then you walk out of the bowels of the city and turn your head and see something like Big Ben or the London Eye and it takes your breath away.

I am definitely planning on returning and hope to see much more. I basically only saw one floor of the British Museum. And what a floor! I saw Cleopatra, the Nabonidus Chronicle and a bust of Titus. Along with descriptions and artifacts from Ur, Assyria, Philistine, Isreal and on and on. And I have an awful confession to make. I had about three hours to spend in the Victoria and Albert Museum and when I walked in and surveyed the map; trying to decide where to start; I saw there was a fashion exhibit. I didn't mean to spend the whole time there; time literally just slipped away! But I saw garments from the seventeenth century until present and a whole section on the future of fashion and it was so incredible. But I definitely have to go back to see the rest!

The architecture of the buildings like Westminster Abbey and the Houses of Parliment are beyond anything I could imagine! So much detail!

I stayed with a really nice family and my friend Jess hosted a party on Friday where I met so many nice brothers and sisters. Then on Saturday, we went to a ball at a castle! A real honest to goodness castle. Everyone dressed formorally (thanks to Jess's sister, Hannah I had a beautiful ensemble) and dined and danced. The castle was Leeds Castle with a moat, turrets and everything a castle should have. The whole week was amazing and refreshing and an awesome amount of fun!

3 comments:

  1. Miss you already Cory! Just pouring myself a 'penslip'... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! sounds wonderful:)
    Isn't Jess awesome? Always planning incredible things to do when her guests arrive!!!
    xx
    miss you both
    em

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had a fairy tale, or at the very least a Jane Austen moment. How wonderful.

    ReplyDelete