Saturday, December 19, 2009

I must build on Darcy's comment because that is really how I feel. Leaving your home doesn't mean you leave behind your friends, family, thoughts, ideas, past, dreams and alas problems. You are who you are no matter where you go. I did have a vague sense of this before I left and honestly was striving for a way to reinvent myself; but Darcy nailed it on the head; you must lose yourself then find yourself.

Right now all of you are still with me and I love it; I actually feel I get to chat more with you now than I did before I left! So keep emailing and keep commenting, obviously your comments inspire, amuse and encourage me; just like you all did when I was with you.

That said, I am sorry I have not done better to keep you updated. I did give myself entirely up to Paris. The week is a whirlwind of children and French lessons. Even the meetings and service are French lessons as the congregation has banned English in my proximity. (I am gaining in experience in miming and reading mimes-watch out next game night!)

By the way, I gave my first comment! It was "parce que Jéhovah est le Dieu de vérité." (Because Jehovah is the God of truth)Going to the English congregation in Paris is a real blessing. It is amazing how it good it feels to simply sit and listen. I really took it for granted in the states. Another aspect of our meeting I took for granted was the depth of material we cover and the depth in the comments of our brothers and sisters. The congregation in Paris is made of many zealous friends for whom English is their second language. When speaking a second language your thoughts have to fit into the words you know. Their english is not by any means broken and they are quite articulate; it is just very difficult to communicate the thoughts of your heart in your second language. Last Sunday I had the privelege to listen the the CO's last talk (I missed the majority of the public talk thanks to a strike affecting when trains run; very French). It was a talk I had heard with the last visit of a CO in the states. But given in very simple straightforward terms. At first, I was dissapointed. After the meeting I went to Chez Papa (Em, I think I had the salade you love so much!) with some friends who were very impressed with the CO's speaking ability. Through the conversation, I really got what we have in America and what our dear brothers are up against in foriegn speaking halls. Any strecthing of the depth and length and hieght you wish for really comes for your own personal study. It is vital for strenthening your faith! I had prayed to Jehovah on the way to the meeting to be strengthened and encouraged by the CO's talk and boy, was I! And what a lesson I hope to never forget; DO NOT take for granted the preperation and study that go into the parts and comments of our meetings and at the same time do not depend soley on the meeting for your encouragement and upbuilding. I know that has been said and said at meetings, assemblies and in our publications; I just really saw it.

The brothers and sisters are extremely friendly and welcoming. They are very accustomed to visitors coming and going from around the world and used to friends coming for a longer visit, like me. Their is no shortage of conversation and you are never left to stand akwardly by yourself. My first meeting I walked in and met a sister visiting from New Zealand. She is fluent in French and dearly loves the language. She was visiting with a friend from England, thus attending the English meeting. Her love of Jehovah and of the language afforded her a great privelege-she gets to give Bethel tours to French speaking visitors in New Zealand!

Saturdays I have devoted to wandering the streets of Paris. I did finally see the Eiffel Tower, have walked along the Siene to the Arc de Triomphe then along St Honore to the Louvre and Tulleries. My next area to explore will be St Michel and St Germain, then up to Montfort. The last couple Sundays I have gone to the English meeting then spend the afternoon with a good friend who has kindly taken me in and is showing me her Paris. Thank you!!

The last couple days have brought snow and it is breathtakingly beautiful. I have taken pictures and will get them posted, somehow...

12 comments:

  1. When you said you gave yourself entirely up to Paris, does that mean you gave all your money to Paris? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you are enjoying France, Cory! And yes Brandon it does, LOL! : )

    Jessena

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jessena! I think you + family should come visit me instead. It's much better over here. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep. It's amazing here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice. I'm glad you have made some connections in English too. Dying to see pictures. FYI. Wrote you a note in response to your comment on my blog, Just realized you might not know to look it up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coralie (said with an affected French accent)
    I miss you!
    I little bit envy your French immersion! Furthermore, I'm entirely proud of you for parlezing en francais.
    and if you had the Boyarde salade at Chez Papa then I hope you liked it:)
    bisous

    ReplyDelete
  7. ps. I love your description of this blog and how it's documenting your "first year in France"
    subliminally you're saying that you'll be there awhile, n'est pas?
    tres bien, j'aime bien

    ReplyDelete
  8. First of all; Brandon, if you want to chat create your own blog! And Jessena and fam said they were visiting me! There is a Bethel over so they can see Bethel and Paris!

    Em, yes it was the Boyarde Salade, and I did like it. It was perfect for getting a warm full tummy to walk around Paris on. And I am praying about staying over here for longer, I am understanding more and more your feelings and honestly I'm afraid to go back!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Since our last name is French, can you do a little research in regards to our name? Your Uncle Tracey said that someone from France said there was a river there named Revis.

    Do they have "French Fries" there?

    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok sorry Cory... LOL We should visit you both!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm really enjoying reading in your blog--you make me feel like i'm right there--I'm glad you are starting to fit in to the culture, as the language will come with time and much effort--and Jehovah is taking good care of you via the friends--looking forward to seeing pic's--with your last name being french, wouldn't it be nice to find other revis's related to you, maybe even witnesses with that name--how exciting that would be--keep up the good work--love ya much, Terri

    ReplyDelete