Friday, December 4, 2009

All By Myself

Thats not a bad thing. It forces me to speak French; which will have to be a topic for another entry. Oh la la. This last Monday I went into Paris all by myself. I felt quite confident on the train; thank you New York. In fact, I had a person ask me if it was the train to Montparsse. So that was good. Unfortunately, I took the slow train and so it took an hour to get into Paris. If I had caught the fast train it would have taken half an hour. The metro system is nice and easy to navigate, my only complaint is I haven't seen clear markings to go underground once you want to get back on the train. So I arrived at the Concorde station and came out right at the wheel in front of the Jardin de Tullerie with the obelisk, the Acr de Triumph and the Eiffel Tower behind me. I was overwhelmed, where would I start? I was also just trying to take in the fact that I was in Paris and free to do and go wherever I wanted and there was no hurry because I am here for a year! I decided to walk up and down the Champs Elysee and thought I would go to the Grand Palais afterward. I know its shocking that I didn't go straight to the Eiffel Tower, I just didn't. I just started walking. The Champs Elysees is beautiful. I started in the market and straight off got a vin chaud. Warm wine. I know, but its really good. Its actually kind of a holiday tradition. There are some spices added to it and its trés bon. Champs Elysee to me is the Times Square of Paris. I hope I haven't offended anyones sensibilities but thats the feeling I got. It is wider and with Parisian architecure, tree lined streets ect. But it bosts Gap, Sephora, McDonalds, Adidas and Nike. There is Luois Viutton, United Colors of Benitton, Mont Blanc; so there is some level of granduer. And it was nice to go into the Gap and Nike and STARBUCKS! Oh, getting a soy latte and a gingerbread loaf was heavenly and I chatted it up with a lovely couple from Ireland. But never fear I will become more Parisian and venture off into more obscure and adventurous places.
Later in the week, the Dubarrys were all sick, thanks to me; so I went to the meeting by myself. Well I rode with a very sweet couple who only spoke French. But it was good because I had to use the few words I knew and really listen. After the meeting, many brothers and sisters came up and it seems they have all decided I must only speak French. Even those who I know speak English would only use it to correct me. But the congregation is a safe place to practice and everyone is so patient and helpful. I feel like a child and everyone is waiting for me to speak. Even with the language barrier I am making friends.
I am really looking forward to this coming Sunday when I go to the English congregation in Paris and then spend the day with some friends who are locals and can show me their Paris!

8 comments:

  1. I can't wait to hear about your visit to English congregation. Depending on which one, there used to be connections to Vancouver BC (or were about 4 years ago). I am sure you already heard about who to look up. So exciting. I think I heard Funny Face as I read about your Champs Elysees experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Cory. Just wanted to let you know that I am proud of you. Seems like everything is working out well for you. Who would of thunk! It is getting cold here in Vancouver. We may have snow this weekend. Emma is starting to go to the bathroom on her own! Yeaaaaaaa! I csn't wait till she master's this milestone. No more diaper changes! Let us know more about your adventures.
    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, I promise to show you *my paris* next time, not just the inside of line 13!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello you! So happy to read of your adventure. And I must say, absolutely shocked that you didn't run around the Tour d'Eiffel at first glance! So proud of you and all that you've accomplished (so far!)
    Hugs, xHx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sunshine-We are loving your blog. What a wonderful adventure you are on! Cant wait to see some pics. Much love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I was there to show you my Paris! ah Parie...how I miss thee...
    But I guarantee you that Carly's Paris is pretty awesome!!!! Line 13 hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  7. just stopped by thinking there'd be an update, but there isn't!
    pourquoi non? having too much fun?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the moment when one defines oneself as a true adventurer, not a tourist! I think back on my first look at Paris with profound respect; there are no words - in English, at least - to account for the breath-takingly, unexpected intensity. I appreciated the comment you made about the French not getting up just because the sun rose; what better could describe the French and their mindset. It is love-of-life; love-of-sweet-pleasure, love-of-expression; and love-of-thinking beyond the obvious. What an adventure; what a truly huge opportunity to lose - and find - yourself; which is the whole point. I love you! I miss you! Enjoy your adventure! You deserve a chance to be who you are; France is where to find oneself, a la Audrey Hepburn? No; a la Coralie!

    ReplyDelete